Wednesday, September 14, 2011

TCNJ Art Faculty Exhibition 2011

I am really glad that Professor Sanders wanted us to go see the Art Gallery for the Faculty. It's nice to see the techniques that we learn in class used by our teachers. It helps produce a true value to them and it helps inspire me to be a better artist and designer. Overall, everything in the gallery was very nice and very visually exciting. I really enjoyed seeing all of the different styles and materials used to make the art. These are some of the artists that I can truly remember their work:

Chung Chak's two contributions Floral, Tokyo and Sunset, Montreal are a great example of composition. He used the same and similar images to build  landscapes that flows all together from far away. Upon closer inspection, you can see the individual pictures used to build the images. The two were both very impressive and a style that I very much like.

Professor Sanders' Disembarking starts with three simple photographs, but then turns into works of art. Throughout the three pictures, you are walking off of something that I think is the Staten Island Ferry (that orange color is something very distinct and can be spotted from a long way away). I like the effects and strokes thrown into the shots. Even though the title is Disembarking, without the name I wouldn't have known which way to go.

Bill Nyman's two pieces The Apples of Charlann and Floral Visions were both breath-taking paintings. They were both very enjoyable and ones that I could see for sale in a store like Target; something that a casual art enthusiast would enjoy.

Betsy Alwin's Herkimer Hammer helped fill the room with a rhythmic thud. When discovering what was making the noise, I was very excited. The piece, on a simple level, was a hammer hitting a rock. The device was powered by solar panels, which I thought was a very much over looked piece of the puzzle. I think that the piece had many meanings. I think it was a jab at the way alternative energy is looked at in the United States; its something readily available that can do the job for us, but we wish to overlook it. I also saw it as a way to think about life. The hammer isn't going to break the rock on the first hit, but the more the hammer hits, the closer it gets to its ultimate goal. Alwin's Volksgeister caught my eye as well. I liked the different components as one, especially the Ronald Reagan commemorative coin.

Bruce Rigby used a variety of materials to create his works. I liked that it was a combination of all different types of things onto a wooden background. The wooden background helped both of his pieces pop.

I did not understand Liselot Van Der Heijden's dissonance. This was a series of TV screens featuring different angles of a stuffed deer head. I thought that it was very thought provoking, but it went over my head for the purpose. But, then again, is that the purpose; to inspire thought and discussion? I look forward to talking about that with my classmates.

Overall, it was a very rewarding experience and I look forward to seeing more galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment